It's All About Link Quality
Incoming site links are still a very influential part of ranking these days and integral to our Long Island SEO services. However it is not just the amount of links a site has anymore. Too many low quality links from sites with poor content will hurt your rankings, particularly if there are a low amount of links from high quality websites. A poor backlink portfolio (A lot of low quality backlinks / not a lot of high quality backlinks) will likely cause a manual penalty, throwing your site out of Google's graces. This is where a Backlink Audit comes in. One example of a balcklink is Long Island SEO. Google has stated they take action on 400,000+ websites every month. Not paying close attention to what sites are linking to you could become a serious problem, ultimately leading to a manual penalty. Getting one of those could take weeks if not months to repair and successfully request re-inclusion from the powers that be Google.
How can we help you?
Links these days need to be relative and fit contextually into the topic of your page to gain link juice as well as build page & domain authority . It's all about quality and not quantity now. Knowing what sites are linking to you allows you to know what shape your link portfolio is in and take a proactive two-part approach. First requests are sent asking for removal of low quality links. Then we create high quality Content which is added to your site and shared through Social media channels. Essentially we efficiently remove and dilute the low quality links and build new high quality, contextually relevant content which grows high quality links exponentially through social shares.
What criteria determines what "High quality" is?
- The web page linking to your site should highlight the theme related to your site, especially the anchor text linking to your site. However, it is unnatural for the same anchor text to be used over and over. Anchor text should be varied and not only have keywords used, but also variations of your brand, company name and web URL.
- The sites linking to you should have relatively high Domain Authority / Page Authority scores (Popularity & trustworthiness) and should not use link spamming methods
- Pages with high Google Page Rank are great links and a measure of the links weight, importance and trustworthiness of the linking domain
- Ownership / WHOIS data of the linking domain. Buying a bunch of domains and linking them to your site is NOT a quality link
- Not getting too many inbound links too quickly. Rapid growth usually signals low quality links and could alert search engines to potential spammy techniques being used
- Both reciprocal and one way-links are recommended and show a natural growth in links
- Diversity of your link portfolio is desired, with many links from different sites rather than many link from a single site. Also, the amount of other links on the page is important, less links being much better as more Page Rank and authority will be passed to you
- Still the number of sites linking to yours is an important factor, but we have to reiterate, Quality over Quantity
- Popularity - How many people link to the page / site
Why do you need a Backlink Audit?
- You are trying to start a link building strategy or improve an existing one
- Avoiding a manual penalty is a concern of yours
- You are trying to recover from a manual penalty already brought against your website
- You want to learn more about what strategies your competitors are using in order to improve your own link building efforts
- You want to learn more about what is helping or hurting your rankings and gain insight into finding new link building opportunities
Our Backlink Auditing service is available on its own or as an included part of our monthly